Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Light the Night Walk 2008

Most of you are quite aware that I have been raising money and participating in The Light the Night Walk since 2001. I am on a small team. It consists of my very dear friend Nancy, her daughter Jackie, Another friend Cheryl, Myself (Jacob and Jenna have also been walking since they came into this world), sometimes our spouses, Mia and last but most certainly not least Gavin the reason why we started walking. I won't go to much into detail about our history as I don't won't to repeat myself too much as I explain our history on my LTN website.

Back in 2001 Gavin was 2 and 1/2 years old and was diagnosed with Leukemia-Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL). Gavin is Nancy's grandson and Jackie's son. When researching The Society we came across The Light the Night Walk. At that point we decided that this was a cause that we needed to help. Every year since 2001 we have been walking and raising money for this cause. The money that we raise goes directly to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, National Capital Area. It goes towards research and it also goes to patients and their families.

Every year we try our hardest to raise more money than the previous year. Most of what we raise comes from different Wal-Mart's as most of our team is Wal-Mart associates and we also do other fundraisers like Barbeque's and bake sales. Thus far we have been very successful at beating our previous years fundraising efforts. This year our goal is $20,000. So far we have raised about $11,000. My individual goal is to raise $1000 on my own. For the last few years they have offered a free website to each walker. This is the first year I am trying it out, as I am a little more experienced with the whole website thing. On my website you can donate money to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Light the Night walk and by doing so through my website my team will get credit for each of those dollars raised. Please do not feel like you have to donate just because you're reading this post. And if you do feel like donating, don't think you have to donate a wad of money every little bit helps even $1.00 makes a difference.
*I forgot to add this. For those of you who would like to donate but do not feel safe donating via the web. You can always mail me a check made out to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In the memo line put Team G-Force. That way our team still gets the credit. If you'd like just send me an email and I'll give you my address.

Before I go on and I know you're probably wondering. Gavin is now in full remission and is a thriving 9 year old. Thank God for that. You all may or may not know someone that has been effected by Leukemia or Lymphoma. Gavin is most certainly not the only little guy I know that was affected by this disease but he is the reason why Team G-Force was started.

And for My Light the Night website, I am really excited about this. I have posted some pictures from past walks on the website. Please at least take a look and let me know what you think. I also would like to take this moment to Thank Everyone for continuing to support me.

One last thing the walk info- Our team walks at the Reston Walk. There are many walks sites in our area. The Reston walk takes place on Saturday October 4th at begins at The Reston Town Center. The start time is still to be announced. Thanks Again for taking the time to listen and read about Our Team and our cause.

No comments: